Take 5 with Mr. Raymond Keller

Kennedy Petersen

Mr Keller teaches classroom

Cale Murphy, Student Journalist

Mr. Keller, the energetic government teacher who received the secondary teacher of the year award, on august 8th, 2022 speaks out about influencers eventually The award recognises him as one.

1. You were named Teacher of the Year by our school district in August. Why do you think you were chosen?

I was chosen through a nomination process of students, parents, teachers and principals. They wrote a lot of nice things about me and those words helped me win the award. The nominations that were read at the award presentations were awesome and I am so thankful to have been chosen from so many great teachers in the Papillion La Vista Community School District.

2. What was your reaction when you found out?

i was shocked and grateful to win the award. It was a surprise. I remember thinking about all of the great students, parents, teachers and administrators I have worked with throughout the years. I also had to figure out what I was going to say pretty quickly, so that was kind of challenging.

3. You are known for making unusual comparisons to help students understand what you are trying to teach them. Where did that come from?

I don’t know if my comparisons are unusual or not, I just try to use real life examples to make my subject connect better. Sometimes the comparisons are funny, sometimes they are serious, but the goal is always the same, to help students learn. Where do they come from? I don’t know. Most of them come from having life experiences and probably watching too much television when I was a kid.

4. What inspires you as a teacher?

I am inspired by the hope that my students bring to this world. I want to help equip them with the knowledge they need to start to achieve their dreams and make a difference in their families, neighborhoods, cities, counties, states, country and ultimately, the world.

5. If you had to have a different career, what would you choose and why?

I would be a farmer or an attorney! (Farmer) I just want to harvest corn in a combine sometimes and (attorney) I like using words to help people.