PLSouthside Scroll

The Student News Site of Papillion-La Vista South High School

68° Papillion, NE

PLSouthside Scroll

PLSouthside Scroll

‘Crooked’ start to the baseball season

Avery Brasfield
Team huddle before the game begins

The baseball field recently reopened after getting a major upgrade.The idea of getting a new turf field was a bond project that granted both high schools new turf fields for the baseball and softball programs.

Titan Coach Bill Lynam,who started the baseball program when the school opened in 2003-2004, explained the latest changes.

The best new upgrade for our field is the artificial turf and the drainage.This way we will be able to play on the field more often. Less rainouts from games and practice.  Baseball is supposed to be played outside, with no walls and sunshine.”

The previous field had grass and turf. The change to turf alone cuts down on many maintenance tasks such as raking the dirt and dealing with drainage issues from rain or melted snow.

Construction on the new field was originally scheduled to be completed in mid-December, but that was  delayed partly because of worker shortages.The work was completed March 15, meeting the revised deadline.

The main word to describe the process of not having a field during preseason was “frustrating.” Coaches and players agreed it wasn’t entirely a bad thing, rather a way for them to get creative. 

Typically, spring sports host tryouts in the last week of February into March. This year \ the baseball program did not have a real baseball field to see in-game scenarios at that time.

However,  Coach John Oltman said, “I don’t think it affected our ability to make good decisions and see what the kids can do.”

Having no field ready when tryouts came called for the program to get creative. Lynam said, “The only shortcoming was we had to haul our stuff around. We didn’t have a home.”

Coach Lynam cheering on senior Isaiah O’Brien as he round third. (Avery Brasfield)

Having access to Papillion Landing Community Recreation Center, at 1046 W. Lincoln St. in Papillion and 4 Seams Academy 12005 Portal Rd, La Vista, NE 68128 in La Vista allowed tryouts to take place.

Senior Jordan Rowe, who is entering his second season on varsity as an outfielder, said, “It got the job done, but it wasn’t great. Being indoors is not the same at all.” 

As the Titan field was being completed, the team  played Millard South on March 15th at Tal Anderson field, home of the UNO Mavericks, which Lynam counted as a plus.  “The kids appreciate the opportunity,” Lynam said. 

Though the Titans lost to the Patriots, 8-2, Lynam credited  the experience  for being  “a beautiful day and a beautiful facility.”

Then the time came and the field was completed. So on Saturday, March 16, the varsity team had its  first practice on its home turf. 

The following week, March 21, the first home game on the new field took place. The Titans won 7-3 over the Bellevue East Chieftains. 

Taking it all in, Rowe said, “It’s really well designed. They focused on the details. Our bullpens are very big and spacious.”

Relief pitcher senior Dylan Johnson said he recognized the difference right away. Having dirt and grass can lead to “bad hops” and unclear reads on various plays, he explained. With the new field, Johnson said,“The ball just plays more smooth and is true to each bounce.”