PLSouthside Scroll

The Student News Site of Papillion-La Vista South High School

63° Papillion, NE

PLSouthside Scroll

PLSouthside Scroll

Spare Time is worth some of yours

Entrance for Laser Tag
Gigi Sedlacek
Entrance for Laser Tag

Spare Time Omaha opened up at 17202 Lakeside Hills Plaza this school year as a place to play arcade games, laser tag, escape rooms, and bowling. They have half off Tuesdays so that you can enjoy almost everything at 50% off regular price while still getting the full experience.

On a recent Saturday, in mid-March, a friend and I finally arrived at Spare Time after a slight problem with directions. The mid-sized building felt a lot smaller than it had looked in photos online. When we went inside, we had to figure out what to do, eventually landing on the arcade.

The arcade game Skeeball (Gigi Sedlacek)

They have multiple arcade games including Jurassic Park, Halo, Qube Simulator, and many others, with some games letting people go up to four players.

Looking through, we noticed that some machines were priced higher than others, with $5 being the most for the biggest games, and  $1.50 being the price for the smaller less extensive games. The big machines such as Qube Simulator, which I had never heard of before, were in the first category while also being the most interesting.

We then made our way over to the Laser Tag Arena/Escape Room counter. We paid $10 for each person. If we’d come on Tuesday,  we would’ve paid $5. 

The arcade game Super Bikes 3 (Gigi Sedlacek)t story.

We immediately realized that we had come too late in the day when we were the only two people in the Arena. The game consists of zapping other players while destroying their base to set them off from other arcades. There were only two  of us because our other friend had canceled, resulting in us being the only people there. I recommend coming earlier in the day or having a large group of friends to play with.

We noticed that there were two options for the Escape Rooms, priced per person and with a time limit. The 30-minute experience being the cheaper option at $15, and the hour experience being $25. Each had a different story.

The 30-minute story has you escaping the clutches of a slaver after your ship crashes, and you have 30 minutes to escape the cryogenic room aboard his ship. The story for the 60-minute time limit consists of you breaking into Area 51 in order to find proof of aliens. 

We were going to go bowling, but I had injured my wrist the day before, so here’s what I know. The bowling section for your average experience has eight lanes at $33.99 per lane, per hour. The limit of people allowed for each lane is six. On Tuesdays, it’s $9.99 for each person in your party, although each person also has to pay for shoe rental at $5.25 for the day, which is not included for the half off Tuesday promotion.