PLSouthside Scroll

The Student News Site of Papillion-La Vista South High School

67° Papillion, NE

PLSouthside Scroll

PLSouthside Scroll

‘Star Wars: Ahsoka,’ Does it measure up?

A Midseason Review
Anne Albracht

The new original Star Wars series “Ahsoka” centers on the former Jedi and show namesake, Ahsoka Tano, who was cast out of the Jedi order in the hit animated show “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” and made a surprise appearance in sequel animated series “Star Wars: Rebels.”

The new series takes place after the events of “The Mandalorian” Season 3, following Ahsoka, her not-so-force-sensitive Mandalorian Apprentice, Sabine Wren, and the new lovable and brutally honest droid Huyang on a journey to find their lost friend Ezra and lost enemy Grand Admiral Thrawn, even if it means going past the edge of their known galaxy.

Disney and Lucasfilm’s newest show has a lot to offer to the greater Star Wars lore. The show surely fits right in with the rest of the Star Wars franchise with its expertly choreographed lightsaber duels, its intense dogfights, and its breathtaking environments.

The show is not without its flaws: The writing and performance for most of the focus cast feels dry compared with their more lively animated counterparts.

Film critic Dylan Roth remarked in his own review of the show: “‘Ahsoka’ may be the most lifeless, plodding, and shockingly incompetent installment in the franchise to date.

But not all opinions of this up-and-coming show are so negative. Critic Hugo Rifkind said in his own review: “It’s fun and fast, there’s lots of lightsaber action, and we’re gearing up for a good old-fashioned space-chase.”

Altogether the show so far does have its flaws, but it makes up for any shortcomings with its potential to tell an unforgettable story. See a new episode on Disney+ on Tuesday night at 8 p.m. Central Time.