Izzy Haggard drawing message with chalk.
Kinley Harris

A Little Bit of Chalk and a Whole Lot of Hope

Student group promotes mental wellness and suicide prevention with schoolwide sidewalk project

In order to spread positivity and raise suicide-prevention awareness, Hope Squad gave chalk to the main office and asked students to come down during their Titan Time on Sept. 12-14 to write messages for anyone who might be struggling. This was Hope Squad’s first time doing this, and it was received warmly by the student body. 

Kinley Harris

Every day of the event, students and even some teachers could be seen crouched down on the ground, chalk in hand as they wrote encouraging messages and drew on the sidewalk leading up to the front entrance. Students then got to walk past all the words and drawings left by their peers when leaving and arriving at school.

When asked about the inspiration behind this event, Hope Squad member Preston Scott said, “Around this time [of year] people just start to give up. They don’t want to be here… So, I think what we’re trying to do is lighten up to help people know that they’re worth it. Today’s one day, and tomorrow is a whole ‘nother one.”

Kinley Harris

Another member of Hope Squad and participant in the chalk event, Izzy Haggard, said this when asked about her drawing: “I think I tend to put a face on like most kids, and I think that in high school you need to be reminded that it’s okay to not be okay. I think a lot of people tend to focus on what others are gonna think of them, and some of us need to understand that we don’t need to put on that face sometimes… I think it helped me, too, even though I put some of those drawings out there.”

Even when the rain washes it all away, the message of hope will remain: You are important, you matter, and I’m happy you’re here.

Kinley Harris
Kinley Harris
Kinley Harris