School board speaks on roles and responsibility

PLC Schools

PLC Schools Board (left to right, top to bottom) Skip Bailey, President; Marcus Madler, Vice President; SuAnn Witt, Secretary; Brian Lodes, Treasurer; Valerie Fisher; Brittany Holtmeyer

The Papillion La Vista Community Schools Board meets twice a month to make important decisions regarding the district, including Papillion La Vista South High School. Among the many roles of school board members are interacting with the public, staying in touch with events around the district, and planning for the future of our local schools. There are many ways of looking at and going about these tasks, so from the school board members themselves, here are their perspectives and actions regarding their school board duties. (All photos courtesy of Papillion La Vista Community Schools)

What do you believe is the school board’s primary job? What does the public expect from you?

Skip Bailey, President

A school board member’s primary job is to develop new and review existing policies and procedures to ensure that the PLCS school district is held accountable for students’ education and growth. The public expects the school board to maintain effective communication through actively engaging parents, students, staff and community members about what is happening in the district. 

Marcus Madler, Vice President

In short, the school board’s main focus should be around the district’s overall goals, missions, and policy. I think the public expects the board to set the overall direction for the district and make sure we’re investing in our schools at an appropriate level (which not everyone agrees on what that level is).

SuAnn Witt, Secretary

I believe the public expects its Board members to remain informed of educational issues through research, attending meetings, and professional events that discuss trends in education or other issues that may impact us locally. I believe the public expects its Board members to carry-out these duties so that every student receives the best education possible in order to achieve their highest potential.

Brian Lodes, Treasurer

The role of a member of the Board of Education is to collaborate with all stakeholders within the district to develop, revise and adopt clearly defined policies that align with the purpose, direction and values of the Papillion La Vista Community Schools and community. The Board also has a fiduciary responsibility to stakeholders of the district to monitor the annual budget to keep property taxes stable or decreasing.

Valerie Fisher

The Board’s primary role is the hiring and management of the Superintendent, policy setting for the District, approval of the budget and levy and attending Board meetings and other Board functions as defined. It is imperative Board members become educated in the way public schools are financed and that we stay apprised of changes to funding formulas as well as taking advantage of learning opportunities as I believe the public expects us to be well-educated for the position we serve.

Brittany Holtmeyer

Acting as a liaison between the superintendent and the staff, parents, students, and taxpayers of the community to ensure policies are upheld and student achievement is priority.

How do you view the public’s role in decision-making?

Skip Bailey, President

I believe the public has elected the school board members to represent their interests. Obviously with six board members and approximately 40,000 members in the Papillion and LaVista communities, that means we can’t make everyone happy all of the time, but we strive to represent the public’s general interest in making the Papillion-LaVista Public School District one of the best in the state of Nebraska.  We encourage public attendance at our bi-weekly school board meetings, the board meetings are broadcast live on YouTube TV,  and our email addresses are on the school district website so that we are accessible to the public.

Marcus Madler, Vice President

The public’s main role is that they elect each board member and the expectation is they are doing their homework on the candidates to vote for those that align with their interests. Once elected, the board has a duty and obligation to listen to feedback on issues from all stakeholders, including the public. 

SuAnn Witt, Secretary

The Board is responsible to state law and local policies. Therefore, the public’s role in decision-making is to weigh-in on such matters that affect the development of strategic goals and local policies. It is also essential to have input that impacts public funds such as with new bond issues. The Board reaches out through the use of surveys and forums to gather public input. This data is one of the most useful tools in Board decision-making.  The public is also welcome to email or reach out to members as well as speak at monthly Board meetings.

Brian Lodes, Treasurer

The role of a member of the Board of Education is to collaborate with all stakeholders within the district regardless of political philosophy.  Board members should continue to listen to stakeholders via public comments at board meetings, emails, phone calls and in-person conversations. The Board needs to continue to look for new ways to engage all stakeholders and collect feedback. Community forums, social media engagement and surveys are just a few examples we can use to gather additional information to make decisions for the district.

Valerie Fisher

There are many ways and opportunities  for the public to ask questions, share views and concerns, allowing the District and Board to hear varied points of view. Public feedback, thoughts and ideas are a welcomed part of the District  and public schools process.

Brittany Holtmeyer

My view of the public’s role in meetings has not changed. I have always viewed citizens to have a right to participate in democratic process as outlined in the Nebraska Open Meetings Act.

How do you stay in touch with what’s going on in the schools? What buildings have you visited or events attended this school year?

Skip Bailey, President

We receive constant updates from the superintendent and his cabinet via email and phone calls. We also meet throughout the week in subcommittees, and individually with the superintendent and his staff to stay up to date on what is happening in the district.  As far as events, We all attend four liaison lunches with individual schools over the course of the school year. These are intended to give that school’s staff a chance to ask us questions about things that are happening in the school district and in their school. I have attended tours of both high schools this past month to discuss the upcoming bond projects. I have attended numerous sporting events at the high schools and middle schools. I also attended a number of choir, band, and theatrical events at both high schools. Finally, I was invited to attend a Veteran’s Day celebration at Hickory Hill Elementary School and a Thanksgiving Dinner at Rumsey Station Elementary School.

Marcus Madler, Vice President

I have two sons at Tara Heights so I have a better understanding of what’s happening at the elementary level. Outside of that, the board members rotate going to all the schools each year and sitting down with the staff to gather feedback and answer any questions they have. On the events side, I take my kids to a lot of the high school sporting events and theater performances. There are also a number of ad-hoc events that pop up throughout the year and I try to make as many of them as I can.

SuAnn Witt, Secretary

The district does a very good job of informing the Board of building activities. Board members also participate in “liaison lunch” visits to each building annually where we spend time discussing issues at the building level and district level with staff at each school. I have attended all public bond forums and toured several buildings in preparation of bond discussions. It is my personal goal to attend any ceremonies or events, such as graduations, that honor the achievements and hard work of students. The Board’s role is governance rather than operational aspects of the district. That is the responsibility of the superintendent and staff. Therefore, Board members need to be mindful of the chain of command when interacting with staff or visiting buildings.

Brian Lodes, Treasurer

Besides board meetings, I am regularly in the school buildings for liaison luncheons, sporting events, music programs, and parent-teacher conferences. I follow most buildings on social media and read the communication emails from multiple schools and the district as a whole. I enjoy meeting the staff and students and listening to their achievements and their concerns.

Valerie Fisher

I stay in touch in a large variety of ways including attending events  throughout the District, attending Liaison lunches, going to meetings, actively listening and asking questions of presenters who are on the Board agenda speaking at Board meetings. I read school newsletters and posts as well. These are just some of the many ways I stay in touch.

Brittany Holtmeyer

In my first week as a sworn in board member I visited four elementary and the two high schools. My plan is to visit the remaining schools within the next month or shortly after. The greatest value with school visits is having the opportunity to visit with the administrators, staff and students to see what they are experiencing first hand. I want to build relationships by listening to their concerns and viewpoints. This will help me become a more informed voter for school board meetings.

What do you hope to accomplish as a board in 2023?

Skip Bailey, President

In general, the school board wants to continue to work with the administration to provide a quality education for our students.  We also want to continue to recruit and retain the top teachers and staff to provide that education. We are working to live up to our focus statement of “Rooted in Academics. Grown to Greatness.” In particular, we are gathering data for facility updates so we can ask for another bond from our taxpayers. Our priorities are improving safety and security, updating older facilities to today’s standards, and setting our district up for future student growth.

Marcus Madler, Vice President

There’s a lot of outside noise regarding public schools right now and I hope this board will continue to focus on what’s important to provide our students a high quality education with an array of opportunities. 

SuAnn Witt, Secretary

My personal goals are: student safety, advocacy for public education, resource management, and promoting equity/diversity in our schools. A top priority this year for the district, and one that brings equity to our facilities, is a new bond issue that focuses on student safety and building needs such as increasing classroom space in older buildings. Board members measure accomplishments by evaluating the superintendent’s progress on his stated goals as well as the goals of the district’s strategic plan.

Brian Lodes, Treasurer

Top priorities are a continued focus on academic performance, with an emphasis on the recovery of learning loss due to COVID19, the district’s strategic plan, and planning for the continued growth of the district. We can accomplish these priorities by engaging with stakeholders throughout the district. I will continue to make my decisions based on what is best for our students and staff, while being mindful of our budget and tax levy.

Valerie Fisher

As a Board member  it is always my focus to meet the expectations of a Board member, to ensure the District  Strategic Plan is moving forward, to see that our student achievement is moving in the right direction, to do our best to have great staff, to keep a focus on student and staff mental health and well being, for example s.  I am aware of the delineation of the Board and administrations duties  and strive to not overstep or micromanage so the District can run smoothly and effectively.  In doing all of this, I am doing my part to help the Board accomplish District goals.

Brittany Holtmeyer

I want to continue to be a strong advocate for parents, staff, students and taxpayers. I want to be accessible to anyone that wants to have a discussion. I want to be transparent and encourage community engagement/involvement. I will strive to learn as much as I can about the district finances and ensure we are good stewards of taxpayer funds.