PLSouthside Scroll

The Student News Site of Papillion-La Vista South High School

PLSouthside Scroll

PLSouthside Scroll

Papio South pitches in to help Elkhorn Tornado recovery

Infographic by Wyatt Lefler and Anna Peterson

The tornadoes that went through Elkhorn on April 24 affected over 80 families in that area. Families in the Elkhorn Public Schools district lost homes and belongings. The things that our community has done to help those who were negatively affected include organizations such as COPE, a grief support group, the EPS Foundation, and Womenade. These groups are accepting donations from financial aid to hygiene  products to support all effected.

Papilllion La Vista South High School volleyball coach, Katie Tarman wanted to help those who needed it so she went ahead and started brainstorming ideas. They held a meeting to see what they could do to help. 

“Someone at the meeting suggested that we do a giftcard drive,” said Tarman. 

So the day after the tornado hit, that’s what they did. The team raised money to get the cards to then give them to Anna Gregorson, a worker at an EPS school, and she would give them to the kids’ families that were affected. 

“They said they needed money more than anything so we were giving them gift cards, but most people wanted to donate so that’s when we set up the Venmo.” Tarman said.

The families that were affected are currently staying at hotels, apartments, other family members, and friends houses.  

If you are wanting to help clean up, Omaha Rapid Response is leading the volunteer efforts, and is going to help. 

You can contact them at [email protected] or (402) 305-3053.