Take 5 with Harmon Moss

With Harmon Moss
Take 5 with Harmon Moss

Senior Harmon Moss is a high-achieving student in the music program. Most well known by peers as a front-line mainstay in marching band, Moss has been long known to enjoy his craft and develop new interests for the future.

1. What are you best known for?

“Probably music, I’m really involved with that.

“I enjoy the sound.”

“I do percussion because I didn’t want to march but still wanted to do marching band, so I wanted to be on frontline.”

“For piano I enjoy the expressiveness that can be conveyed on the instrument.”

2. What are your major interests?

“I like to play piano for jazz band and show band, bassoon for concert band, and marimba for winter percussion and marching band.

“I started playing piano in the 3rd grade, and I started doing that in more ensembles.”

“I started on saxophone in 6th grade and then played that in middle school. In freshman year, I switched to basson because [band director] Mr. [Joe] Homan talked about it, and I thought it looked pretty cool.”

3. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

“I would like to be in a small town as a high school band teacher, teaching away.”

“I really like music, and I want to spread that to other people. I just want to lead other people to have more enjoyment of music.”

4. What inspires you?

“I’ll go with a cop-out answer and say my parents, because I know they want me to be the best that I can be … and I want to glorify them and show honor to them.”

“My mom forced me to take piano in the 3rd grade, and when I wanted to quit, she wouldn’t let me.”

“They go to a lot of competitions and concerts. I just know that they support me.”

5. What do most people not know about you?

“My absolute dream job is I want to keep bees. I just want to have a nice little bee farm out in the country. It’s weird, but still, I’ve always thought about that. I don’t know, I just think it’s cool. The costume is cool. It’s just something I would love to do.”