Who are the Titan Defenders?

Defenders Facebook

Kevin Caverzagie, Amy Kriegler, Stacey Darnold, and Jimmy Carter

Caitlyn Ybarra, Student Journalist

From flipping burgers to hosting golf tournaments, Titan Defenders raise thousands of dollars for various student groups. In the past year, the booster group has fulfilled requests from band, journalism, track and more.

A common misconception of Titan Defenders is that it’s a booster club exclusively for athletics, but the boosters support a wide variety of school groups. The group’s stated mission is “enhancing the student experience and strengthening the Titan community through financial and volunteer support.”

Scan to visit defenders website

Requests are granted through questions like “Can it be used over multiple years?” and “Does it affect multiple students?”

Sponsors or coaches submit requests through Activities Director, Mr. Jeremy Van Ackeren, who then decides if the request would be better fulfilled by the district or the booster club.

As for what the district will cover versus the Defenders, the district covers things building related, not extras. Things the Titan Defenders covered that the district couldn’t include: a high jump mat, Waterboys, football headphones, and gym wall mats.

“Athletics is the low hanging fruit,” said current Titan Defenders board president, Kevin Caverzagie. “They probably have the most expenses of anyone – football being the lowest hanging fruit. It has the most participants, so anything they do costs a lot of money.”

“The challenge in a lot of activities is to come up with something multistudent and multiyear, but we are certainly happy to help if they come up with something,” Caverzagie said. “They have to think outside the box.”

yearbook photo editor MarVella Gomez, 12th, unboxes a new camera lens (Anne Albracht)

For example, the Journalism department had cameras and lenses that had been in use for more than a decade and the program was in need of new ones. Their request was approved for two new sports kits, which yearbook photographers will use to capture images of student sporting events and performing arts throughout the year.

“I was excited beyond words,” said MarVella Gomez, photo editor for the 2023 yearbook staff. Gomez, a senior, has served as a yearbook photographer for three years. She was the first student to use one of the new lenses, capturing images of the Titan volleyball team taking on Westside in Titan Arena on Sept. 20.

Gomez said the new sport lenses from the booster club allow action shots with a wider range of settings. “It was incredible! The images were crisp, and I personally had never gotten such good photos,” she said. “I’m sure that the photographers this year will be thrilled to have the chance to use them.”

Defenders decide where the money will go following the membership drive.  This accumulates the funds and brings in new members.

Infographic by Caitlyn Ybarra

This year’s membership drive set a record high with 180 families, Caverzagie said. The golf tournament the group annually hosts during the first weekend of August sold out for the first time this year.

As for who should join, the Titan Defenders website says: “Parents. Teachers. Coaches. Titan Fans. Neighbors. Former students. Business partners. Anyone who cares about the success of Titan students!”         

Caverzagie personally defined what it means to be a Titan Defender as: “It means you’re involved in the education of your children, it means you support the staff and administration at Papillion-La Vista South High School, it means you get involved.”