New ROTC murals welcome students back after break

Paige Miller

New ROTC Murals in the hallway

The ROTC logo for Papillion La Vista Schools, on the wall by the ROTC door.

The students of Papio South were welcomed back after spring break with new murals in the NJROTC hallway. There are four murals, each of them different. The murals came as a surprise to nearly everyone, including the ROTC students.

“I knew what we were getting, so it was not that huge of a surprise to me,” Senior Chief Jeff Nichols said. “We didn’t tell the students what we were doing, so it was a lot of very positive feedback from the cadets.”

The ROTC murals have been an idea that Nichols had for a while; however he didn’t think he could actually have them until Mr. Jeremy Van Ackeren and Mr. Bubba Penas suggested it. 

The murals also have meaning to them, with the Titan T with a crown on it by the ROTC’s door representing the unit’s logo, and how the unit has always been incorporated with the PLHS Monarchs.

The murals also hold a personal connection to Nichols. On the one with the two ships, each ships photo was chosen for a reason. “The ship on the left, an aircraft carrier, that’s the USS Abraham Lincoln, and that was the last ship I served on … and the ship on the right is the USS Omaha, and in 2018, [we] went out to San Diego and provided the Color Guard for that ship’s commissioning ceremony.”

During the same week, the ROTC unit was able to compete in the first competition of a year since the unit was put on probation, and had the new murals to commemorate the event.