Hope Week encourages student mental health awareness

The Papio South Hope Squad is sponsoring a Hope Week to encourage mental health awareness. Starting March 6 and going through March 10, there will be a designated theme for each day of the week. The goal of the event is to raise awareness for those struggling and provide an opportunity for community members to educate themselves on how they can lend a helping hand.

Monday’s theme was Wear Green for Mental Health Awareness because green is the international color for mental health awareness.

Tuesday is an online student social media scavenger hunt for the entire school to participate in. It will involve following the Titan Hope Squad social media account and completing a series of activities throughout the day. Follow the Titan Hope Squad on Instagram, @titanhopesquad, and on Twitter, @TitanHopeSquad.

Squad members Brie Gamel, 12th, Mia Geiger, 12th, Owen Botjen, 11th, Haley Walts, 11th, Jada Bankson, 11th prepare notes and decorations for Hope Week.

Wednesday will include a mental health Kahoot, with questions about awareness and strategies. The top teams on the leaderboard at the end of the day will receive an unannounced but much anticipated prize during Titan Time on Thursday.

Thursday is “Shine Brighter Together” and involves students decorating individual stars to create a mural. The stars will be in the box office with coloring materials for students to fill out during their lunch time.

Finishing off Friday strong is “Get Comfortable Talking About Mental Health,” demonstrated by wearing pajamas. The Kim Foundation will be visiting on Friday to discuss the importance of mental health and also provide resources for help.