Blue-collar Titan

Leo Lopez

Mikey Bonge, 12th, student-aid in a trades class, attaching a cover to the table saw. He’s been in trade classes all four years in high school and has helped the school with many projects like building sheds, book shelves, benches, and more.

Many doors opened for senior Mikey Bonge, Titan student athlete, after he posted on Facebook’s Let’s Talk Papillion page on Nov. 22, saying: “Looking to start a career in HVAC. Still in school till 12;30 but want to start learning. Can work 1 to whenever. Once I graduate I would be willing to work full time. My parents and football have taught me good work ethic. I will show up, be on time, and work hard.”

Many different companies reached out to him in response to the post, and he got support from friends and family –. receiving over 60 public comments full of love and support. The hard-working football player was able to find his future job through a Facebook post.

“I got three or four companies that told me they would help me pay for my school, and I would have to work for a certain amount of years there, got a bunch of apprenticeships, then there was bunch of other companies, too, that do different things,” Bonge said. “I had a plumbing guy come and talk to me, and then I had a guy that did detailing come and talk to me. So I guess I just got a bunch of other opportunities to try different things.”  

Bonge, who is recognized for his good work ethic, said his athletic experience  gave him his hard-working mindset. “Football taught me a lot about working hard – and you will achieve what you want,” he said. 

Choosing a career wasn’t hard for Bonge. “My whole family is in trades,” he said. “We’re all that blue-collar type of family. I kind of knew that’s what I wanted to do. It pays well; you work hard.”The post helped Mikey secure a job for his future. 

“I had this company reach out to me – pretty much they said that once I turn 18 I can work full time, I can learn new stuff, and they’re going pay for my schooling as well,” Bonge said, “and then I’ll work there for a couple years.” 

With support from his football coaches, the company was able to see the hard work in Bonge. 

“My football coaches, they commented on [the Facebook post],” Bonge said. “They were talking about how I have a good work ethic, and the guy that hired me saw that in me, because he was also a football coach, so he understood what that meant.”

Nowadays the trades field needs more people, and many students don’t know where to start or how to start. One tip that Bonge had for underclassmen looking to get into this career was to get involved in programs the high school offers. 

“At our school we have a thing called Skills USA that helps. Also signing up for the Metro classes – I didn’t do that but I know it’s a good gateway to get into that career field. Trades is demanding,” Bonge said. 

Bonge learned that there are more places hiring than one might think. “There’s a bunch of places that hire kids,” he said. “You can really start anywhere. A lot of people will hire someone who just wants to work.” 

The timing for Bonge getting a job was perfect. He said, “Senior or junior year is when you should start working, because if you go to Metro your junior, senior year then you already got your two years.” 

What’s next for Bonge? He said he sees himself running his own business in the future here in Papillion. 

“I want to be able to have my own company. I want to be able to build my own brand, my own business my way, how I want it to be done,” he said. 

Bonge’s home is here in Papillion, and he plans to keep it that way. 

“If a job takes me somewhere else, then I’ll go; but I’m a family man, so I’d like to stay at home.”